Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Choice Based Art

BASA Week 10

This was the last class of our session.  I thoroughly enjoyed working with this group of kids and I hope I was able to get them to think about art in new and different ways.  I saw a quote today that sums up how I feel. "Art has the role in education of helping children become like themselves instead of more like everyone else."

The pedagogy of Teaching for Artistic Behavior supports kids in finding their creative voice in an authentic learning environment.

I promised the class that I would not speak to the whole group which would allow more time to work.  I almost kept my promise.  I read the book "Life Doesn't Frighten Me" by Maya Angelou and artwork by Jean-Michel Basquiat.  The book expresses courage, which I think all of the students have shown in the way they have opened up and shared their artwork with each other.  I also read this book because Basquiat's art is so vibrant and child-like; I knew it would appeal to these kids.





No comments:

Post a Comment